Each team must submit an application to be considered for Magic Grant funding. Applications will be evaluated for their novelty, potential for broader impact, intellectual merit, and strength of the team.
Submission of applications. Each team must submit the following documents in PDF format.
- A signed cover letter, including proposal title and the full name, affiliation, and contact information (postal address, email address, phone) of each team member
- A two-page proposal which explains:
- The innovative idea(s)
- Originality, uniqueness, and relation to other work in the area
- Potential for broader impact
- Work plan to demonstrate viability of the idea(s) within 12 months
- Expected outcomes, results, prototypes, or media products
- Two letters of support that assess the importance of the project and its chances of success. At Stanford these should be from faculty members, preferably written by the advisors of the team members. If both team members have the same advisor, one letter suffices. At Columbia, students and alumni can submit letters from their advisor or another faculty member familiar with their work. Letters from non-faculty should identify the recommender’s relationship to the team members.
- The résumé of each team member
- The transcript of each student on the team
- A budget for 12 months not exceeding a total of $150,000. The budget can include financial support of the team members (e.g. tuition remission and salary in accordance with University guidelines); cost for specialized hardware, software, and materials; travel, services; etc. and should follow the rules of the respective university. Each line item must be justified. Do not include indirect costs/overhead. Students are urged to consult with their faculty advisor(s) and the university administration. Bicoastal teams must submit separate budgets for Columbia and Stanford, under respective rules, each individually not exceeding $150,000. Columbia applicants should use the budget template provided here. Stanford applicants should use the budget template provided here.